Ever heard of Tepache? A nice refreshing fermented drink from Mexico made from the skin of pineapple. A perfect recipe to use food scraps (well, normally you don’t do anything with the skin of a pineapple). It takes a while for the tepache to be ready. You have to wait at least 36 hours for it to ferment and be ready to drink. But patience pays off!
A sterilized preserving jar (how to do this you can read here)
Ingredients for the Tepache
- The skin of a pineapple (washed very well!)
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- a few cloves
- 1/2 cup / 100 grams of organic sugar, originally it is prepared with Mexican piloncillo. We used coconut blossom sugar.
- 1.5 litres of water
HOW-TO: Tepache Recipe
- Start washing the pineapple.
- Then you cut the skin off the pineapple. You don’t use the “edible” part of the pineapple for this recipe. So you can enjoy this nicely.
- Take the sterilized mason jar and add the sugar and 1.5 litres of water.
- Stir this well so that the sugar dissolves as much as possible.
- This is followed by adding the cinnamon and cloves as well as the pineapple.
- Stir well again. Check if the pineapple is properly submerged otherwise you can add extra water.
- Grab a cheesecloth or very thin tea towel and place it on top. Secure it with a rubber band. You can also choose to put the lid on but the drink must be able to breathe to ferment, do not close the lid completely – more chance of fruit flies (I’m talking from experience;))
- And now we wait!
- Leave it in a dry place for a day (not in the fridge)
- After 24 hours, remove the white foam from the drink with a spatula. It is really fermenting now.
- Let it ferment for another 12-24 hours (it can be longer, but if you leave it too long you will get vinegar).
- Have a taste
- And tada!
- Serve in a glass with plenty of ice. You may want to add a little more water or sugar to your liking.
Let us know what you thought of the tepache recipe in the comments. We are curious.